Bobby Bowden received 377 video games and two nationwide championships throughout a 44-year teaching profession highlighted by one of many nice runs in faculty soccer historical past: Florida State received a minimum of 10 video games and completed within the prime 5 of the ultimate Amway Coaches Ballot in each season from 1987-2000.
Bowden died on Sunday on the age of 91 can also be accountable for altering the complexion of the game. Inside 5 seasons of arriving at FSU in 1976, Bowden created the state’s first nationwide energy and paved the best way for 20 years of dominance from the Sunshine State triumvirate of the Seminoles, Miami and Florida.
Because the architect of the Florida State dynasty, Bowden’s legacy and place in faculty soccer historical past is safe. Wanting again at the very best wins, groups and gamers of his FSU tenure reveals his deep influence on the game.
1. 18-16 vs. Nebraska (Jan. 1, 1994). The slim win within the Orange Bowl gave Bowden his first of two nationwide titles.
2. 46-29 vs. Virginia Tech (Jan. 4, 2000). Beating Michael Vick and the Hokies secured an ideal season and a spot in historical past as the primary group to go wire to wire at No. 1 from preseason via the championship.
3. 30-23 at Florida (Nov. 20, 1999). In what was basically a play-in recreation for the following Sugar Bowl matchup with the Hokies, FSU pulled away within the third quarter for a win within the Swamp in opposition to the Steve Spurrier-coached Gators.
4. 18-14 at Nebraska (Oct. 4, 1980). If for smaller stakes than the opposite Nebraska matchup on this record, the street win cemented the Seminoles’ place as a nationwide program. Bowden would name the victory one of many largest at school historical past.
5. 28-10 vs. Miami (Oct. 9, 1993). On the heels of Large Proper I and Large Proper II, the Seminoles’ convincing win exorcised demons and paved the best way for the nationwide title.
1. 1999 (12-0). The Seminoles would beat 5 ranked groups to shut out a dominant decade.
2. 1987 (11-1). With the one blemish a heartbreaking 26-25 loss to Miami, the 1987 Seminoles need to be talked about among the many greatest groups of the previous 40 years regardless of not successful all of it.
3. 1993 (12-1). After knocking on the door of the nationwide championship the earlier six seasons, 1993 was validation for Bowden and Florida State.
4. 1988 (11-1). The Seminoles would get walloped by Miami within the opener, escape Clemson by a subject purpose two video games later after which win their subsequent 9 video games by a median of 27 factors.
5. 1996 (11-1). FSU beat Florida to finish the common season however then misplaced the rematch a month later within the Sugar Bowl, giving the Gators their first nationwide title.
1. Charlie Ward (1989-93). The 1993 Heisman Trophy winner is among the most adorned quarterbacks in Bowl Subdivision historical past.
2. Deion Sanders (1985-88). Past the manufacturing and accolades, it was Sanders’ swagger and confidence that got here to outline the Seminoles’ run within the Nineteen Nineties.
3. Peter Warrick (1995-99). Probably the most electrical talent participant within the nation as a junior and senior, Warrick influenced a technology of receivers along with his route working, agility and explosiveness.
4. Derrick Brooks (1992-94). Very like Sanders, a Corridor of Fame NFL profession has partially overshadowed how nice Brooks was at FSU — he was a three-time all-conference choose and two-time All-America choice.
5. Ron Simmons (1977-80). Bowden’s first large recruiting win and the primary two-time All-America choose in program historical past, Simmons starred on the FSU groups that
Comply with USA TODAY Sports activities schools reporter Paul Myerberg on Twitter @PaulMyerberg
This text initially appeared on USA TODAY: Bobby Bowden: His greatest gamers, wins and groups at Florida State